Saturday, December 14, 2013

Spiro's Spirals Downward

So Titan and I were looking for a new place to sing karaoke last night. Something a bit closer to home.  The first place we found that had advertised karaoke actually closed before 11pm on a Friday night.  Okay, no matter. So, we went to our second choice.  Spiro's Sports Bar and Grille in Sparks, NV.  Please keep in mind that when I rate bars, it is from the perspective of their karaoke for the most part.  That is usually what Titan and I go for.



Honestly, this place needs to decide if they are going to be a sports bar or a karaoke bar.  It has a better chance at remaining a sports bar.  There were several televisions to watch sports of all kind although the only thing on at that time of night were the recaps from several previous events.  There were plenty of slot machines on the bar with which to lose copious amounts of money.

The bar itself was fairly nice and the space itself was decent.  There was a second room in the back that had pool tables which no one was using.  I probably would have played a game or two if I wasn't waiting with baited breath to sing.

We didn't get there until about 11pm and it took us a bit to figure out where there books were. They were hard to see because the artist and title sections made up about a half inch total in book space.  Their only brand of songs were Monster Hits, which are one of the poorest quality brands of karaoke songs available on the market.

After about five minutes of looking through this pamphlet of songs we each chose a song and waited patiently to sing.  When we got there it was fairly busy.  Typical of most bars on a weekend night.  And we waited.

Sometime around 1130 they began to play a string of really terrible Top 40 songs including that ubiquitous "Cupid Shuffle" which seems to be a favorite among many.  Titan and I personally cannot stand the song, but suffered through listening to it in the assumption that they were taking a short break from singing and then moving on.  After a half hour or so of this crappy music they finally began the singers again.

Now, I have been singing karaoke for over 15 years and I can honestly say that this KJ was one of the worst I had ever seen.  Not only did she not put new singers (Titan and me) into the rotation before the dreaded music break, she didn't allow new singers to sing after the break.  After the break it was the top of the rotation, and we watched every singer who we had heard sing continue to sing. An hour and a half went by and still we hadn't gotten to sing. We decided to leave with a very bitter taste in our mouths and mind.

Not only did we not get to sing, I began to get a headache due to the intense nature of the treble in the microphone that the KJ didn't seem to notice. And speaking of the KJ, she was the single most unfriendly person I had ever been in contact with.  She gave blank looks to Titan and when I went finally give my song slip, she took it without a single word.  There was no welcoming words of any kind from either her or the bar staff.

The blond working behind the bar must have been having a bad night.  Either that, or we weren't the type of people to be patronizing the bar.  True, it was filled with a bunch of younger jock types, but so? 

This bar's only saving grace was the male bartender whose name we didn't get.  He was attentive and smiled.  He didn't sneer when I told him I was only drinking water because I was the driver. They also have happy hour from midnight to 4am where it appears that the drinks are half price.  Titan told me that the drinks the blond was making before midnight tasted like they had no alcohol in them.  After midnight with the guy they were half the price and actually tasted like there was alcohol in them.  Shouldn't they taste the same no matter who pours?

I usually tell people that I am willing to try anything twice. In the case of Spiro's, I will never be visiting this place ever again for karaoke. And since I am not a huge sports fan, I do not foresee going there for anything.

Overall I give Spiro's Sports Bar and Grille:



And honestly I feel that is very generous.


No comments:

Post a Comment