Monday, February 23, 2015

Batch Cupcake - Never Again/Jus - Again

First impressions are the most important, People!












The other day Raven and I decided to rekindle an old tradition that we did when we were living in Idaho.  So we hopped on our bikes and rode to Batch Cupcake for Cocoa and Cookie Day.  (In this case Cocoa and Cupcake Day, but who is counting anyway?)

Batch Cupcake is a half mile from where we live so we thought it would be a great thing to ride our bikes.  We managed to get there without too much hassle and after fumbling with the brand new bike lock (a U-lock that I forgot to take packaging off of) we went inside to Batch Cupcake.

The inside decor was interesting.  It had three-piece pub sets that had chalkboards for tabletops where people could draw.  The walls also had chalkboards, but I did not realize that until Raven mentioned it.  By that time I was so blinded by contempt for this place that it didn't matter.

We looked at the cases full of cupcakes.  They were on the counter tops in large glass-topped cake trays.  Ummm... it's pretty and all, but how does one get one without accidentally giving cooties to the surrounding cupcakes?  Not that our hands weren't clean, but there weren't any tongs or pastry papers in sight, so we went up to the front counter.  (Now, I still don't really know if people just help themselves to the ones displayed out there or not.  I didn't ask, but that didn't matter.)

Okay.  We were there for cocoa and cupcakes (long before reaching this establishment that we were going for cupcakes).  I looked on the menu and was pleasantly surprised to find cocoa on the menu.  I ordered cocoa.  Oh, but NO!  They don't serve cocoa there!  I always get irritated with a place that has things on their menu that they do not actually sell.  Okay, well then how about milk.  That was on the menu.  Nope, no dice there, either.  They have juice on their menu.  Okay.  Well, it would be okay if you like grapefruit juice, which I do not.  *sigh* I ended up ordering a chocolate cupcake with white frosting and Raven ordered a chocolate cupcake with mint frosting and and Andes mint on top.

By this time I was so irritated that I almost thought of walking out.  But I didn't.  I paid the overpriced total and we left to find Jus, which the cashier said was right next door.  (We ended up turning the wrong way going out the door, but found Jus nonetheless.)

The guys at Jus (yes, there is supposed to be an umlaut above the u. I haven't figured out how to put it there yet) were amazing.  They saw us riding our bikes by when we were looking for a place to park.  They were super helpful in explaining their menu as we had never been there before.  They were upbeat, smiling and treated Raven with respect.  Not ignored her as though she wasn't there.

Their decor did leave something to be desired.  It was a bit sterile for my taste, but cute with the wooden panels.  I would like to think that a place such as this would have a more fun atmosphere, but no one is happy all the time although I do take atmosphere and decor into my review along with other things.  In addition to drab decor, the tables wobbled.  They just need a slight tweak, guys!

I ordered a Gotta Green, which had strawberries, bananas, kale and spinach (try it before you hate on it) and Raven got a strawberry/banana smoothie without all the green stuff.  I tried mine and then I tried hers.  Both were really good.  I got her to try mine, but I guess her mind got her all confused because she didn't like mine, probably because it was green.  LOL!  They were a bit spendy, but that is to be expected in midtown.

We spent time inside because at this point (in February no less!) was too hot outside to sit.  I'd say I was sensitive to the heat, but I'd only be fooling myself, although I didn't want the sun beating on my back.  So we sat and had our cocoa and cookie day sans cocoa, avec cupcakes.  Overall it was a pleasurable experience.

My overall review for Batch Cupcake is not a great one.  The best thing about this business is the chalkboards on the table tops and walls.  Their service leaves a lot to be desired and their menu severely needs to be updated if they are not going to serve things that are on it.  Seriously, guys!  Their cupcakes tasted good, but I have had better for sure. They are not worth the over $3 a piece that I paid for them. For the quality of service, or lack thereof, that's way too much, even in midtown. I will not be visiting again here anytime soon.

 My overall review of Jus is not bad.  Please fix your wobbly tables!  It was a pleasure to come into an establishment who treats their customers, especially those who have never been in before, so awesome.  I didn't catch their names but the gentlemen behind the counter at Jus made the half-mile bicycle trip worth it.  And thank you for not having any grapefruit juice in sight!

Overall, I give Batch Cupcake:

And this is being generous.  I was going to give only 1.5 stars, but Raven talked me into giving 2 because of the chalkboards.

Overall, I give Jus:


No comments:

Post a Comment